Just got email from a MoveOn member that there will be a vigil – NOTE UPDATED LOCATION:
- Tuesday, June 8, 2010
- 6:30 p.m.
- Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney, downtown
- NOW SCHEDULED FOR HERMANN PARK near the hill at Miller Outdoor Theater
Most street parking in the area is free after 6 p.m. No Astros game that night, so parking shouldn’t be too bad. You can bring water & non-alcoholic drinks to the park, but no glass containers or alcohol are allowed.
According to MoveOn, the purpose of the vigil, other than mourning the extensive loss of life and harm to our environment and economy, will be:
- Demanding real solutions from Washington, including a plan to end our addiction to oil by transitioning to clean energy.
- Showing our neighbors, our family in the Gulf region that we’re behind them in this terrible time.
- Raising money to meet the needs of the immediate crisis.
You should attend. Attend even if you are fine with oil, even if you never want to learn to compost, and even if you don’t intend to donate a dime.
We need to demonstrate that we expect a response commensurate with the enormity of the crisis.
Hope to see you there. Spread the word.
hey can you forward me the email? i want to join the group.
I deleted the email – I try to read & delete to stay on top of the inbox – but suspect you can get info at Moveon.org.